PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statistically, when will a large twin engine jet end up in the drink?
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 01:47
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Dick, while I can sort of see what angle you are going for the reality is that you are pushing **** up hill with a stick.

The reactionary world in which we currently live - where someone does something dumb and kills or injures themselves immediately results in legislation (or at very least pollies on the idiot box calling for legislation) means that your chances of getting some sense in terms of a safety vs cost argument are slim to none.

We as a community kill more people through medical errors than we do through aviation accidents yet we focus on absolute safety in aviation because it plays well to the uninformed. The medical community is very good at couching failures as unintended negative outcomes and people accept that because each human's physiology is different and people understand that sometimes people just die. Crash an aeroplane and it is almost immediately pilot error as the default position until proven otherwise (note the various "experts" commenting (with no solid information other than their "experience") on recent accidents - yes I am looking at you BB)

What i am trying to say, however poorly, is that aviation is an extraordinary activity that has been made ordinary because we apply rigid processes and training to the practice of aviation. Because it is so "everyday" people become blasé about it and are surprised when something goes pear shaped - when in reality the fact is they shouldn't be - driving a couple of hundred tonnes of metal with thousands of moving parts at breakneck speed in a hostile environment whilst carrying a ****load of explosive fuel is, in my opinion, extraordinary, and amazingly safe despite all the things that could possibly go wrong.

If the medical profession had the safety record that aviation does then there would be a lot more people alive world-wide.

But what do we really expect in a community that obsesses with cars driving 1km/h over an arbitrary speed limit and then telling the drivers that they are reckless and irresponsible - and by doing so take the focus away from the big picture which is driving safely within the conditions and making them divert their attention to the speedo at the expense of situational awareness.

Last edited by Snakecharma; 3rd Jan 2019 at 05:34.