PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Community service flights new rules
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 22:09
Dexta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish
’What I am saying is there is a condition called “get poor deserving kid to hospital-itis “
Clearedtoreenter
Perhaps some pilots are afflicted by ‘get thereitis’ or ‘watch this’ syndrome.
Sunfish
i am simply saying that the emotional imperative behind CSFs are different from purely private operations
During this holiday season I have seen a few pilots taking to the air with family and friends in less than ideal situations (not unsafe, just not ideal) because that is the only time they can do it, or it was a promised Christmas present, etc. etc. I would say there is some form of pressure in nearly every flight we do (its a beautiful day and the weather for next week is rubbish, I should go for a fly today). Part of the training and ongoing responsibility of being a pilot (Recreational, GA, ATP, etc.) is to recognise and manage pressure. How a person perceives or even creates pressure for themselves and the way they handle that pressure can be a real problem with private flying. One person can be fine the other stressed, one prepared the other unprepared. Whether it is a CSF or a family trip, or even a solo jaunt around the block the mental attitude and preparedness for the flight, if lacking, can lead to accidents.
Since our society seems hell bent on controlling everything we do through regulation and safety initiatives here are a few suggestions...
1. A psychological test must be conducted and submitted to CASA before each flight. (OzRunways could build this into their program)
2. A certificate from a certified psychologist or psychiatrist before commencing flight operations.
3. A Cortisone sensor linked directly to the aircraft master switch, like a breathalyser switch but for stress.
4. Take responsibility for your own actions and state of mind, act in a professional and rational manner, seek additional training, use a support network of other experienced people if in doubt and do not take unnecessary risks.

I wonder which one CASA will choose?