PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military accommodation not fit for animals
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 20:59
flyingkeyboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
I couldn’t believe that Daedalus OM at RAFP Cranditz was having a new roof fitted when I saw it the other day - the old one can’t be older than 22 years old! All these ‘new builds’ are proper sh!te and just like modern houses are not built to last. When Trenchard/Churchill invested in the RAF’s real estate in the 20s/30s then at least it was built to last - it’s just that the chimps we employ seem incapable of doing so. What happens is that the MOD sells the site off for peanuts and then some proper craftsmen are employed by the new owners to restore these lovely buildings with modern glazing and heating. Go and have a look at former RAF Bicester - sold off for £2.5M - where the average 4 bed detached costs over £0.5M - now looking resplendent as a new vintage aircraft and vehicle tech hub. The Quarters have also been flogged off on the cheap and the personel at nearby Croughton are mostly out in rented accommodation.

The (mis)management of our estate makes my blood boil. It won’t be long before Halton, Henlow, Brawdy, Chivenor, Mildenhall and Colerne are all sold off for a pittance - Hullavington has already gone for next to b^gger all.

Grrrr...
Bring on the Colerne sell-off. There’s a reason why one half of the patch is known as ‘The Slums’.

It’s looking increasingly likely that I’ll be leaving after 15 years into a 30 year contract. The housing situation is one of the main factors.

From this family it appears that people are the number one priority in name only.