PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Lapse Identified as Initial Problem Leading to Lion Air Crash
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 19:57
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
If only Boeing had thought to Murphy-proof the AoA sensor, say by incorporating a locating pin that ensured it could only be fitted in one orientation ...

I guess we've just been lucky that before this event nobody has fitted one incorrectly in the 50-year history of the 737.
More to the point: If only Boeing had thought not to Murphy-enable the MAX by introducing a system, whereby the aircraft will attempt to destroy itself (along with everyone on board) if the right set of conditions existed.

As far as I know, this particular outcome is unique to the 737 MAX. So, the statement regarding being “lucky” over the last 50 years really doesn’t apply. I’ll even go further and suggest that over the past 50 years it is probable, or even certain that a similar maintenance FUBAR would have occurred, given the the enormous amount of hours flown by the type.

I know this is ”Tech Log”, but the vast discussions surrounding the almost mind bending set of variables, only serves (IMHO) to muddy the waters as to the ultimate cause of this tragedy. An elephant in the room, that many on this, or any other forum, seem unable, or unwilling, to come to grips with?