PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation history question - knots and feet in the East.
Old 16th Oct 2001, 21:17
opus_300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aviation history question - knots and feet in the East.

Hello all. My first post here. A bit cheeky of me making this post on a Professional Pilot's forum as I'm not a proffessional pilot. But anyway, can anyone help me with the following questions.

At what point did eastern countries (Russia, China, Japan etc) change over from using metric units for altitude and speed to the current units of feet and knots? And do these countries still use metric altitude and speed units on internal flights?

I've done many websearches on this subject and drawn nothing but blanks. I cannot believe that these countries (anti-imperialists all) would have used imperial units like feet and knots back in the 40's or 50's.

A few other related questions. What is the current situation with the units used for measuring other parameters. For example: Are oil/tyre pressures measured in PSI or Kg/SqCm? Is fuel measured in gallons or litres? Is thrust measured in pounds or kgs? Or do the units used depend on each plane manufacturer?

Temperature I would imagine is certainly now measured in centigrade rather than fahrenheit.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.