PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2019, 16:14
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the enduring confidence of some in this forum truly remarkable.

The very same people who rejected a pay offer two years ago, after having not only achieved nothing but actually gone backwards, are still convinced they are right and victory is in sight.

Some argue the construct of the last proposal is a sign the TB and CC are working. This argument is fallacious. The question is not if the training ban or CC is hurting the company, but if it is changing the companies' behaviour. Which it has not for years now, quite the opposite actually. Not only have we seen a decline in value regarding the offered package, but new sickness rules, external training, an an even lower package for new-joiners in 2019. How one can interpret that as success is to me beyond comprehension.

Of course you always can claim victory is imminent, regardless of the facts. An indicator for this is the increasingly argument-free but purely emotional responses and the attached number of insults, in here and on the HKAOA forum. One commentator even declared to rather would want to "die standing" then to give in. Imagine that for a moment. There could not be a clearer sign that reason is lost on some.

A lot of you argue that the offer is inferior, we fought so long for it, then this would have been all for nothing etc etc. I want to be very clear: the offer is not good. I agree. But in order to decide on a yes or no vote this is irrelevant. As are previous sacrifices.They are sunk costs. The only thing that matters now is: do you believe there will be a better offer if we say no? If you do actually truly believe that, then by all means vote No. But if one would decide only in light of past sacrifices, one would act irrationally.

An immortal myth among us seems to be the imminent or already happening mass exit of pilots at Cx, combined with problems to recruit the "right" new pilots. A simple look at the seniority list will tell you this is untrue. If someone is "actively looking" is obviously irrelevant. I know this because I am "actively looking"since I started flying, and everybody who reads this has done it just the same. Additionally, again it is not the question if the company is hurt by people leaving, that may well be the case, but if it leads to change in behaviour. Which is not the case.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 2nd Jan 2019 at 01:19.