PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New British Overseas Bases
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2018, 10:21
Nugget90

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah yes, I remember British Guiana, for I was a co-pilot in Hastings 340 from RAF Colerne that landed at Atkinson Air Force Base (Georgetown) in June 1964. We were on a training flight the purpose of which was to give crews experience of aerodromes that might be used if we were to establish a 'slip' pattern to support the rapid positioning of troops to quell insurgencies.

The plan was to visit the NAAFI that supported the British Army outpost based by the aerodrome so as to acquire relatively inexpensive booze that we would take with us to our next stop in Barbados for a party that had been arranged by the RAF Association. First we had to night-stop, and were just being welcomed into the Mess on the first floor of a building when an insurgent in the adjacent jungle opened up on us with a machine-gun. Our army hosts hit the floor instantly and we were no more than a few nano-seconds behind them! The threat was contained, thought I don't remember how, and - a little jittery - we all repaired to bed on the ground floor. Early in the morning whilst we were still asleep there was sudden BANG just outside our dormitory that got us awake in an instant! This was not a renewed assault on us but a starter cartridge being fired to get a Whirlwind helicopter engine going. We had no idea that the aircraft had been parked there overnight!

We didn't tarry that morning but bought the drinks and scurried off to Barbados were we were forced to extend our stay to avoid some rather nasty weather that was brewing.

And so I do remember British Guiana, but wouldn't criticise it based upon my experience there more than half a century ago!