PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR-71, The Blackbird
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2018, 05:06
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Back 25 or 30 years ago, they used to have an airshow at Paine Field every year (I sometimes think Boeing may have taken steps to discourage the airshow when they figured out the hit they took on productivity when everyone went outside on the preceding Thursday/Friday to watch some of the various aircraft arrive and the Thunderbird's practice ).
Anyway, one year they had an SR-71 come in for the airshow. It was only a static display during the show, but I was outside for a lunchtime jog on Friday when it arrived - the pilot put on quite a show before he landed. Watching it, I kept thinking that it didn't look real - almost like something out of a Hollywood special effects department.
Monday, the SR-71 departed just as I was headed out to my car after work - again the pilot put on quite a show, then pointed it south, with about a 45 degree up angle, lit the afterburners (reheat), and quickly disappeared into the distance.
Impressive aircraft - that they designed it over 50 years ago using slide-rules just makes it that more impressive.