PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise altitude for electric airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2018, 17:45
BluSdUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All
I am skeptical.
But here in Norway we love all electrical , considering we get all our Hydro as they say in Canada, from hydro- electric generators.
And God knows we have enough rain to fill the magazines.
Anyway
Avinor ,the State owned airport owner ( 95% of the public airports) have declared that they support and will aim to have some of the shorthaul TP traffic over on EL operated planes within a short time ( 7- 10 years , I forget).
This has then taken the form of the CEO ,Cpt Falck Pettersen putt putting around in his private EL twoseater , charming any journalist and politician in sight.
I love it!
I think it is some years ahead, but let think Prius!
Been around for ages!
Problems getting it up? Think JATO bottles C130! Or equivalent.What do I know!
I just know that once the need is, there is a way!
After all we had wood fired cars during the war!

Just to stick to what I do know.
My 737 has 7800kg of fuel in the wings AND two wopping big engines that are ca 2500ks each, never to mention all the plumbing and doohickkys that a jet engine needs!
Simply taking a CFM 56-27k with 70% bypass and stuffing in a EL motor with no core thrust gives you close to a 22k derated on. And I am sure that a somewhat more elegant model would take 5 minutes for an Engineer to dream up. Doubtfully done in A and B cafeteria!
So for starter we have ca 10 tons of SALT battery fixed in the wing which gets, say 1 hrs plus IFR reserve.
I am starting to think this is possible.
Helmet On