PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Lapse Identified as Initial Problem Leading to Lion Air Crash
Old 30th Dec 2018, 02:57
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you weidehopf for pointing out the earlier flight maintenance history. It points out an area for investigation.
Originally Posted by gums
The maintenance log shows the wrenchbenders trying to cure the airspeed gripes, and one of the computer codes pointed to the AoA. Had they left that sucker alone we would not be here on this forum, huh? And why didn't the crew gripe about the incessant shaker?
IMO the AOA maintenance had nothing to do with the stick shaker problem, but something else done at the same time probably did trigger the AOA signal problem. I agree that the prior crew needed to do a better job explaining the seriousness of the problem to maintenance.
I also have to fault Boeing for failing to tell pilots about their new MCAS system which handicapped the prior crew (and probably maintenance as well) in explaining what their problem was. The aircraft should never have been released for a revenue flight without a test flight by an experienced crew.
The hardest problems to diagnose are intermittent ones. Computers are able to aid the diagnosis of problems by recording what the symptoms were, but system complexity often prevents actual diagnosis, and only suggests a path toward correction.
Lets dig into the maintenance history a bit:

Comments to follow. I'm, looking at the conductive FOD scenario causing erratic behavior.