PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Low Viz Procedures
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2003, 17:09
radar707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately we are legally obliged to implement LVP's if cloud is BKN or OVC at 200ft or if the TD RVR is 600m or less, regardless of how much of the runway is visible, it is really annoying when you get a patch of shallow fog sitting clear of the runway but over the transmissometers thereby giving RVR readings.

Glasgow is sited at the confluence of 3 rivers, and at this time of year we are prone to overnight fog which lingers on through the morning rush before burning off. Thankfully over the last few years it's not been too bad, but on occasion has gotten so bad we can't even see aircraft taxying past the tower.

From a radar controllers point of view at Glasgow, during LVP's when there are departures we need to use 15 mile gaps between inbounds (to ensure that departing a/c are clear of the localiser by the time the inbound gets to 6 miles), and 10 mile gaps when there are no outbounds, so delays are inevitable.

One thing that would be of benefit is if we are in LVP's tell us your minima on first contact, at least if you need 450m we can try and sneak you in ahead of someone who only needs 250m (should the RVR go up). I had a guy flying round LANAK who needed 550 but never told me (I was too busy to ask him his minima), I could have sneaked him in, but he ended up diverting to PK