PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC gets criminal sentence for AIRPROX
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2018, 11:10
OverheadOrOverheard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and gents.

I have read this thread with some keen interest and cannot see the benefit of all the emotional threats that are being leveled towards the industry. There are many individual aspects that need to be addressed before this end result is achieved. Two of these that I would like to mention are as follows;

1. Just Culture - This is not an excuse to be used at every opportunity to protect yourself when things go wrong and safety events occur. Just culture is intended to help you and your employer when errors do occur. It it not there to be used as an excuse for misconduct or negligent behavior. I am of the opinion that more and more ATS staff around the world are trying to hide behind the argument of just culture when they find themselves on the wrong side of regulatory conduct through their own misconduct or negligent behavior.
2. Vicarious liability - I would suggest and highly recommend that everybody in the ATS services domain go and read up on this concept. Perhaps we would then all have a different take what that licence you are issued with really means.

In the meantime I suggest that you all put the emotions aside and continue to report all safety events as required by your employers. I have never seen a good outcome from somebody who has tried to hide an event and it has subsequently been found out.

My heart goes out to those who have found themselves involved in these court proceedings.

Festive greetings to all
Triple O