PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Drone Zones
Thread: No Drone Zones
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2018, 09:01
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
The context of 101.075 is operations near aerodromes, and subsection (1) refers to ops above 400FT within 3NM of an aerodrome.

There is no need to say "and" 3NM. It should be read as it is stated.

Imagine two volumes within 3NM; one SFC-400FT and the other above 400FT, and its this latter volume that is covered by 101.075

Part 101.085 covers all unmanned aircraft i.e. UAS, model aircraft, rockets, unmanned balloons etc. etc.

101.400 is specific to model aircraft, and its my understanding that model aircraft in populous areas are normally restricted to operating in areas approved by CASA, unless the location is away from populous areas, in which case it is enabled by 101.400 - and 101.085 (b) is the link for that.
I agree with your reasoning on 101.075 and 101.085 exactly, Captain! Given the definition of model aircraft in the dictionary (model aircraft means an aircraft that is used for sport or recreation, and cannot carry a person.) the use of 101.400 allows flying drones for recreation within 3NM of an aerodrome so long as the 400ft height limit is not breached, its not controlled airspace and no obstruction to air traffic is caused. Clearly if there is a no-fly regulation for recreational drones and airfields it lies elsewhere in the crock of words that is the CASRs. Perhaps it's buried in a standards manual (101.028)? Where to find this tome...?

BTW, the meaning of populous area has a fairly generous definition given in 101.028 -
For this Part, an area is a populous area in relation to the operation of an unmanned aircraft or rocket if the area has a sufficient density of population for some aspect of the operation, or some event that might happen during the operation (in particular, a fault in, or failure of, the aircraft or rocket) to pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property of somebody who is in the area but is not connected with the operation.