PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there no Pros to being in CX?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2018, 04:58
directimped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whatthef
None taken!

Yes, my case is the latter, just another CPL holder. But hey, I was not punching above my weight. As I said, I never intended to offend anyone but I was just curious as to why there's a discrepancy b/w words (rant) and action (resignation)?!

The discrepancy is because life just isn't that simple. People have families, mortgages, etc. I wish I could resign right now, but I can't.

My advice to you is to get yourself into a legacy carrier in your home country and make a career of it. Sadly that is all that this industry has left to offer, the rest is hollow and meaningless. I understand you want to build hours, great. We have all been there and done that. When I finished my CPL I packed my belongings into a suitcase and moved between 3 different countries to build time. Now I'm sitting in a wide body doing what I had always dreamed of, but guess what? It sucks. I hate the country I live in, I have no work/life balance, and to top it all off my family is extremely unhappy here because of the reasons I just listed. Now I long to go back to my home country and to do so will cost me everything I have spent over a decade working towards. But it has to be done. Meanwhile, all of my friends who stayed put are now sitting nicely in a legacy carrier, have a great work/life balance and a rewarding career ahead of them. I'll most likely be flying a turbo prop in less than a year from now.

Unless you want to end up like me, and countless others in airlines like CX, EK, EY, QR, you name it, don't fall into the trap of the big shiny long haul gig. Get yourself into a company that offers a long and stable career path, not just a quick upgrade. Upgrades are usually quick for a reason, and that means you won't be staying long either. Where do you go after the shiny upgrade wears off? China? Remember; the higher you climb, the harder you fall.

At the end of the day, once you close the flight deck door, it is all the same. Just another aeroplane, airport, set of cabin crew.

Good luck, I hope you make the right choice.