PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 down off Queensland coast
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2003, 13:49
Autorotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M/V - From the info I got it would seem, and I only say SEEM, that it was CFIT, or in this case CFIW.

Part of the info I received was that there was no maday call, according to ATC, and that according to those on the scene it hit very hard and very shallow. Bodies had to be identified by DNA and dental records because of the force of the impact.

Now I am not an accident investigator and have no desire to say if it was Andy's fault or mechanical failure. He was a really nice guy, good at his job but the only person that can really tell us 100% what happened is not alive to do so.

Finding the cause will allow all minds to be put at rest. The one thing that surprises me though is that Andy had just been working for Marine Helicopters doing marine pilot transfers over the same piece of ocean so was up to speed on night VFR but close friends of his said he didnt have an IFR rating. Does this make a difference, I dont honestly know as I am not a commercial pilot. Only those on this forum that fly that patch can answer that with accuracy.

I do know that this is yet another sad loss for the Aussie industry. Young, dedicated pilots with a passion for this industry are few and far between, without losing them like this.

Andy will be sorely missed, will he be the last, I doubt it.

Autorotate.