PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career killer?
Thread: Career killer?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2018, 06:57
para_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career killer?

Hello everybody,

I hope I'm in the right category for this kind of question...

I am currently a trained skydiving instructor and also on the brink of finishing my flight training (ATPL theory credit done, timebuilding done, SE-IR and CPL scheduled). The skydiving company I am currently working for would like to have me flying their Cessna Caravan for them (100-150h per year). I would also continue to work for them as a skydiving instructor. Operation is seasonal in summer only and there is no complementary cargo operation or anything comparable. The rating would be mainly self funded and in order to make the effort for getting me into operation (CRM, DG, supervision training) viable, I'd have to stay there for at least two seasons. The job does not pay enough to permanently live off it (it's somehow possible to not starve, but that's already it).

Taking into account that I am completely debt free (even after upcoming flight training - including ME-IR + MCC) - how bad would the damage for my career be if I'd take this job for the upcoming 2 years and delay my entry into 'real' operation? Seen from a completely independent stance, the answer is pretty clear, but if somehow acceptable (and that's where I'm looking for other opinions at the moment), I'd really like to give the skydiving job a try for a limited time - if the damage on my further flying career is within foreseeable limits.

For the sake of completeness - I already have a job offer for the upcoming winter on a bigger aircraft in commercial operation (PC12, company intern possibility to upgrade to bigger aircraft), that I would have to turn down in case of accepting the skydiving job. I am (currently) not planning to get into the airline sector at all.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by para_pilot; 27th Dec 2018 at 10:14. Reason: typo