PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Fine book by former RAAF Kittyhawk pilot.
Old 27th Dec 2018, 05:46
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's why Limited Panel flying makes the difference...
And this extract from My Secret War by Richard S. Drury of his experiences when flying the Skyraider during the Vietnam war. His engine was failing with smoke enveloping the cockpit and he was in a thunderstorm at night.
Edited quote: "I pulled down my clear visor to cover my eyes and tightened my straps for the exit. Fighting the nose down trim and the smoke, I thought about being captured once again, the vision of being lashed to a tree and skinned alive that many of our companions had faced before.

As if to comfort me the propeller stopped surging and the sparks went away. I took out my little flashlight, held it between my teeth and attempted to fly with what was left. The only thing that appeared workable for navigation was the magnetic compass, the one we referred to as the standby compass. It sat atop the instrument panel and pointed roughly west. I swung to the right and attempted to set out northwest. The attitude indicator started turning upside down, toppling without power, and I used every ounce of determination to avoid looking at it. The heavy stick began to hurt my arm since all that down trim created a great deal of pressure.

I went through a series of oscillations which carried me roughly a thousand feet either side of the altitude I was trying to maintain. The weather was still there and I tried to keep the airplane upright using the standby compass and its fluid level. It was rather an impossible task and fortunately I would break out of cloud decks in time to accurately determine aircraft attitude, which was usually a matter of being in a steep bank. It was tiring and hard work, but it was taking me home. For thirty-two minutes I kept the machine going, flying with less than precision but with brute force and with physical endurance and great amounts of willpower.. Unquote.