PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA is very confusing and complicated...
Old 26th Dec 2018, 21:55
a334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eagleflyer
What kind of licence do you have now? YouŽll find everything here
Unfortunately that doesn't tell me much about converting a license

I have a Canadian CPL with multi IFR.

From what I have gathered, the UK CAA requires you to do at least 25 hours of training for the CPL if you are at or below 185 hours. Above that you get credit hours. In my case I would get 10 credit hours (I have 260 hours) so I would only need to do 15 hours of training. Then for the multi IFR I would need to do 55 hours, but since I already have a multi IFR, I get 40 hours credit which means I only need 15 total, of which 10 can be done in a sim.

Swedish CAA on the other hand has no minimums... I have talked to a few flight schools, and it appears that in theory you can just walk into the plane and do both your CPL and Multi IR flight tests with 0 hours of training (as long as you get a recommendation of course, but that would never happen). They say the average student gets their CPL AND multi IFR within 10 to 15 hours TOTAL flying time.

A country like Romania doesn't even bother recognizing your ICAO CPL and makes you redo the entire CPL ground school and flying from scratch

WHAT GIVES? It makes absolutely no sense to me. I understand that every EASA member state essentially follows the same rules for students starting from 0 to Frozen ATPL, but for conversions it's as if they don't care and it's a free for all and up to the member state to decide on the rules for converting a license...

I have contacted EASA directly to see if they can point me in the right direction and maybe clarify the situation. At this point even though Sweden is more expensive on a per hour bases, it's honestly better to do the conversion their given their isn't a 30 hour minimum like it is with the UK (not to mention the whole Brexit fiasco, which could render my license useless right after I finish converting it)