PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 26th Dec 2018, 13:22
DropYourSocks

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTripodi
DropYourSocks are you suggesting that Bridge US are working for free? Australians are most certainly costing Skywest more money when compared to hiring an American pilot.
As I stated before, if I was still there I would be planning an exit strategy.

Joe,

I said once an Aussie is on property they cost no more than a US pilot. I don't know what Skywest does, but here is the process:

Airline spends money for lawyer to draw up the labor application, which takes a few weeks to be approved. It is then sent to the recruit.

Aussie goes and interviews at the consulate at his own expense and obtains visa.

Aussie is flown to the US at airlines expense (not always the case mind you, but it is where I'm at)

From here the Aussie and US pilot are costing the same. Both require ATP CTP, hotels, ground school etc.

In 2 years when renewal comes around, lawyer again to draw up labor application at companies expense. Does this cost more than not renewing you and training a brand new pilot who won't upgrade to your captain seat for at least another 18 months? Who knows.

This is why in my opinion the Aussies on property already are *safe enough*, particularly as they start to upgrade. Everyone here can see first hand the shortage of Captains in particular.

As Bafanguy correctly states though, for any number of reasons it could all come grinding to a halt. In fact the news about UA buying Expressjet could very well mean in the near future Aussies will no longer be hired at C5. All I'm saying is that those already here that have been invested in are unlikely to get turfed.

Your mileage may vary though, and having a plan B is wise.