PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2018, 03:47
Eclan

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zanthrus
I am disappointed that this thread has degenerated into a dick swinging contest between self appointed sky gods. Why don’t we wait and see how effective this aircraft will be in reality? The RFDS has good people and systems in place for it. I am sure that it will fit in nicely to the network. Give it a chance and keep the pontificating to yourself guys. Mods I think it’s time to lock this one.
Speaking of dick swinging, I read this commentary on the arrival of a new jet type into Australian service and instead of all the above discussion I find myself wondering why we have to buy it at all. We used to manufacture things in this country, like appliances, automobiles, etc, and yes even aircraft. Maybe nothing amazing but rather than develop it towards greater things the fledgling industry was abandoned in favour of lazy alternatives. When jungle jets are coming out of South America and being bought here there's something wrong. Countries the size of Switzerland and Sweden proudly manufacturing their own air, land and sea transport and exporting it to relative goliaths such as Australia - good on them but it makes me feel embarrassed at this end.

The PC24 isn't magical or ultra-secret technological innovation like the F117 was in its day. Nothing on it couldn't be brought in if we didn't want to do the fiddly parts ourselves and assembled here in a locally designed and built airframe, just like Embraer does. All the knowledge is out there.

Let's get the GAF building proper aircraft again(?).