PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 gross over-run accident. Time overdue to fix the simulator syllabus.
Old 25th Dec 2018, 01:13
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
No matter how skilled the instructor, I think it is a bad idea to ever demonstrate something unsafe. We discuss it at great lengths during training. We may even let the trainee do it once, but follow up with appropriate debriefing as to why it was a bad choice. Never allow it twice - at the point where it is clearly unstable the instructor should call "go around" until such time as crews recognise it and act on it instinctively.
A valuable lesson if they land long is to fail the brakes, not having briefed this as part of that training session.
On any check, landing from an unstabilised situation or beyond the accepted touch down zone should be as much 'fail' items as an altitude bust or sustained out of tolerance, regardless of whether the candidate pulls it off without crashing.
In my pre-test brief I list unstabilised and long landings as failure items, so there can be no excuses.
I think some instructor/examiners tend to let poor landing decisions go rather than fill in the failure paperwork.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 25th Dec 2018 at 08:49.