PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 21:02
LostWanderer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
LW,

If a carrier is represented by ALPA, furloughs would be by seniority. Should they decide to get rid of their E3 pilots, they would just not renew their visas. I don't know that ALPA controls any of that.

Here's a rhetorical question:

Commutair still says on the website they take E3s. Should an Aussie come there and stick it out long enough to qualify for a shot at United via the Career Path Program (CPP), would they be able to go to UAL ? Here's the scoop on the CPP. Lots of hurdles to jump and squares to fill but no mention of how E3s are treated.

United Career Path Program - Home Page
Good point, that makes sense. I just wondered if given the temporary nature of the E3 if they could somehow use it as a way to cut the numbers without going to war with the local pilots.

The CPP and flow programs have intrigued me also, logically I can't see it happening. The E3 Visa is tied to one employer, they would have to get United on board and willing to sponsor them which I don't believe they currently do or plan to according to the stats I have seen - I could be wrong though. Just again seems like it would be inviting a brutal war from the locals when they found their coveted mainline jobs were going to temporary resident foreigners.

Are E3s there on some slight variation of employment contract? or does UA stipulate somewhere deep in their employment contract that an applicant requires a US passport etc? I honestly don't know but it is a very good question bafanguy!