PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 20:30
LostWanderer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
LW,

Yep, I've wondered if this E3-regional thing was slowing down if not stopping. Indications are that something is happening but prognostication is tricky. Many regionals are having no trouble getting candidates and training pipelines are seriously backed up. Throw in an economic slowdown and this E3 route could come to a stop
Thats right, when the party was in full swing nobody could get enough pilots. Now you have guys who are on full pay at home waiting class dates (up to 6 months and maybe more I believe) and this is not just an isolated thing. I know of at least 3 airlines here now in the same boat including mine, they don't seem to be struggling for pilots anymore at most carriers. Actually there was one larger carrier that was asking pilots to take LWOP at one point not too long ago, that can never be a good thing.

From a few mates there, I believe Skywest has fully committed to retaining their current Aussies and renewing them indefinitely at this stage which is nice for those guys - though now they are filling classes no problems I would guess they are hoping most will gradually begin to drop off and go home as they get jobs back down under given the headache they have supposedly had with some of the less honest applicants in their E3 program and the contract immigration company they use.

I often wonder what will happen if the economy really tanks, as it has slowly begun doing already. Do the temporary E3 workers get furloughed first or will it be done by seniority?