PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2018, 19:53
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by outlawuk
Terrorism?
I can see a dilemma for the authorities. If it is declared a terrorist incident the insurers will refuse to pay, and this incident above all has affected ordinary people - terribly, desperately. It's widely reported that this incident could lead to a 5 year sentence. I disagree. It most likely triggers Section 57 of the Terrorism Act 2000, with the definition of terrorism contained in Section 1. The perpetrators thus being eligible for 15 years. But it all hinges on whether the person(s) were doing it for some kind of cause - an eco group activity would certainly meet this criteria. I think Gov should continue attempts to negotiate with the insurance industry to pay, as I hear they were attempting today - but if the insurers refuse then Gov should call this incident out for what it most likely is - an act of terror.
It would be interesting to know who paid out for the disruption caused by the "Stansted 15". They have been convicted under Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990 for "endangering an aerodrome" - potential sentence, life imprisonment.