PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR pilot making an ILS
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2003, 01:29
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Ah well, what's wrong with a wee bit of craic.....

If you ask for vectors to a straight-in visual, you'll probably be asked to report RW in sight and then directed to TWR frequency.

Strictly speaking, if there are others in the visual circuit, you'd have to fit in with them. Appearing on a 4 mile visual final won't give you priority over someone in the conventional circuit. Or rather, it shouldn't......

When I was Duty Instructor at RAF Benson some years ago, we had 4 students in the visual circuit. A Queen's Flight (as it was then) BAe 146, having offloaded the royals and corgis elsewhere, announced that it was 'straight in with the RW in sight'. I told the tower controller to instruct the 146 that he was cleared to join with 4 in and to report deadside. "I can't do that...it's the Queen's Flight" retorted the air trafficker. "Yes you will, them's the rules" quoth I. And he did - and the Queen's Flight mate thought it was Christmas as he gleefully broke into the circuit right over the tower! "Don't often get the chance to have that much fun", he said!

So enjoy the freedom of visual flying and get a good understanding of ILS with MS flight sim or whatever. Then do your IMC rating - but don't forget the joys of basic visual flying even in Class D airspace - it's your right! And have FUN - that's what really matters and why we do it!

Last edited by BEagle; 20th Oct 2003 at 01:39.