PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ERJ-145 with FlyBMI - a good first job?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2018, 09:25
stades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrance
It really depends on the terms though, I know a few years back it was still a "pay your own rating" kinda thing with them. No way in hell should you be paying your own rating for an E135/145, it's not very likely you'll use it anywhere else after BMI if you know how many are flying around Europe.

If they offer it with a bond and the terms are decent, go for it. I honestly think everyone should still go through the ladder from small to big. The experience will pay off later.
See, this is kind of my worry - if it were a bonded type rating I wouldn't even have to think about it, but I am expected to drop £20k on a type rating (which is industry standard for a first job). If I then have to drop another £25k on a 737 or A320 type rating a few years down the line, when a lot of my friends are going direct to those jets, and only paying up once, that's a worry.

I realise i came across a bit 'too cool 4 small jets' I would love to fly the 145; I was just worried that doing so would pidgeonhole me (which has been mentioned a few times on other forum posts).

Thanks to everyone for the advice, including the guys who gave me a bit of flak ;-) My main fear was that there was some industry standard that experienced FOs need time on jets over 30t, but that doesn't seem to be a thing, which is a relief!