PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ERJ-145 with FlyBMI - a good first job?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2018, 09:00
Breakthesilence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stades
Hi all,

I'm an ab-initio pilot with a frozen ATPL in the UK and I heard that FlyBMI are currently recruiting for low hours pilots.

The offer looks decent but I'm worried that flying a jet under 30t could restrict future career options flying bigger planes, cause it looks like a lot of airlines want hours on jets over 30t for FO positions. Do most airlines count hours on smaller jets? I dont have a lot of contacts in the industry so I dont really know where else to ask.

Thanks for any advice!
Go for it. It's a job, in commercial aviation, you will be paid to fly and gain experience that other pilots will never have. You will end up telling your stories about this in 10-15 years in front of a beer with your First Officer (probably a shaved guy who will have seen A320 NEO only in his life) in a larger airline.
Not every airline ask for hours above a certain weight. It's a jet aircraft and some opportunities exists for Non-Type Rated pilots all over the world. A friend of mine moved from small executive jets to the B747. I have colleagues (we fly B737) who came from the military helicopters with no experience on an airliner.

PS: think about skipping this opportunity and failing the one you are waiting for. You will be slapping yourself with your Pilot Logbook.