PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Cessna 172 Checklist
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2001, 01:28
Bedowin

Goodness me, such emotion.

Try reading a check list when you are part of an 8 aircraft formation. I flew fighters for many years and there are certain things that must be committed to memory.

Check lists by design were prodcued on the challenge and response system. Not too many people to talk to when you are single pilot IFR in alight twin at night? (Notwithstanding the fact that the lighting wont allow you to read too much of it anyway)

I have instructed in tandems (supersonics) and side by sides and with the correct PROCEDURES and follow-up simple check-lists (from memory) the operations have been safe for years.

Oh yes, I am also an airline pilot and agree that in the more complex aircraft (not necessarily modern ones) a challenge and response system is required....but puuuullleeeeesssee, in a simple aircraft, surely we can be expected to remember a couple of important items like TMPFFIHHC?

And as for modern aircraft, have a look at the B-767 and B747-400 check lists. Pretty basic.....like 5-6 itmes in the before takeoff check list.

And Oh yes again......I fly my own own aircraft for fun and it really is fun.

Finally, can't we be nice to each other and drop all the personal abuse. Some of the geriatrics flew in a couple of wars to allow us the freedom of speech and democracy, so let's be kind to them...and all of us will enjoy each other's company more.

Meanwhile, happy days to the good guys and may the jerks remain grounded!