PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Cessna 172 Checklist
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2001, 21:32
HugMonster

Centaurus, I have flown parachute aircraft doing huge numbers of lifts per day.

I have also flown BN2's (about as simple as they get!) into rough strips in the Caribbean, doing a similar number of sectors per day as you quote.

And I still used a checklist.

If, as you appear to imply, there simply is not time, then there is something seriously wrong with the way you are operating, because expedience is being given priority over flight safety. I doubt that any authority would legislate for anything that is a basic ingredient of what is generally accepted as good airmanship. You might as well legislate that a pilot must look out of the window on his take-off roll...

We are not talking about using a bit of paper as a "read and do list". We're talking about having all the actions done and out of the way, then getting the checklist out and making sure you haven't missed anything.

I would worry about working with any pilot you've trained not to use a checklist.

In a multi-crew flightdeck, when checks are read using challenge and response, you find things that have been missed. It happens frequently.

Where there is nobody to challenge you, those missed items are not going to get picked up if you don't challenge yourself with a checklist. One day, that missed item may mean a fatal accident.

Please stop teaching lazy and dangerous practices.

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 23 March 2001).]