PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2018, 12:20
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now do me just one favor list the perks with the costs ... to show the $500,000 extra you now claim.
You came up with $20K per pilot per year in perks. That is $100K per year for just the pilots. Now what about the nurses and doctors? The pilots would be the low men on the totem pole. The nurses and doctors would be on more.

The nurses would be on 1.2 - 1.5 times the pilot's salary, conditions and perks. Reasonable? For the doctors, it could easily be 2-3 times. Reasonable? I once heard that the remote RFDS doctors were on packages that were north of $300K pa, so I don't think unreasonable. Let's be generous and call it 1.5 times for this particular group of doctors and nurses, so that makes $150K pa for the nurse and doctor perks.

The annual rental for all the houses would be about $280K, so adding these three figures together (100K, 150K, 280K) gives us $530,000 for the year.

No doubt the flexibility of being able to go ... Kununurra - Perth (non-stop) with an increased capacity of three stretchers is a 'miniscule' saving of time and resources also...
Hopelessly misrepresenting my position there, Captain Nomad. That kind of trip is, in fact, exactly where the jet comes into its own. That is where the jet is well and truly justified and greatly improves the service performed by the RFDS. But we are not talking about whether the jet is justified (I believe it is) - we are talking about the Broome basing.

The East Coast equivalent of what you are arguing is that it would be best to have a jet based in Melbourne for medical emergencies taking place in Queensland...
How about you actually read what I have said? I have gone over it several times.

There are times where having the medical crew onsite sooner rather than later is beneficial as others have already highlighted.
A few minutes sooner? The most distant hospital that the jet would be going from Broome would be Kununurra (400 NM). The jet would get there in 63 minutes, as compared to 99 minutes for the PC-12. For Halls Creek, the next most distant place the jet can go, the times are 52 and 78 minutes.

So, you base a $10 million dollar jet in Broome for those once-in-a-blue-moon occasions when you can save a few minutes getting doctors to Kununurra? Sorry, I don't buy it.

The big picture is patient outcomes.
Actually, the big picture is patient outcomes for the available funding.

... the negativity pervading what could be a more positive thread.
Perhaps those starry eyes would rather look the other way when waste and inefficiency come into view. Perhaps the beholder believes bureaucrats always know what they're doing and always make the right decisions - and that such decisions are always free of any politics. Perhaps asking questions is a little too much negativity.

Last edited by FGD135; 19th Dec 2018 at 12:39.