PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descent Clearance
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2018, 06:40
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
The Australian" one minute" entry in the AIP has been there since traffic movements in Australia were measured in movements per day, not per hour ---- and I am far from certain that this entry has a legal head of power.

However, with the forthcoming CASR Part 91 all this will resolved ---- anything from ATC will be legally considered an order, with the PIC bound to comply, on pain of criminal prosecution , with the exception of an emergency.

This contrasts with the present legal (and ICAO/Rest of the World) position, where ATC clearances/instructions are for the consideration and acceptance or rejection by the PIC, with the PIC having ultimate authority and responsibility.

As ATC screens in Australia do not show Cb/TS --- expect a lot more Maydays every time they vector you into a Cb/TS. Given an ATC union that is, at times, quite militantly anti-pilot***, this could be interesting.

Tootle pip!!

*** Look up Flight Safety Foundation articles some time ago ---- a survey of Australian air safety, where the ATC union nominated pilots as the biggest threat to air safety. In the same survey, pilot opinion nominated Australian ATC as the biggest threat ---- indeed the whole survey was a good example of: "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up".