PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Avmed – In my opinion, a biased, intellectually dishonest regulator
Old 19th Dec 2018, 04:47
Nowluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO provides a medical framework which Australia/CASA aligns to in our environment, large portions will be wholly adopted or partially will be with localising changes and there will be exceptions. I am familiar with the medical standards and know there is a large amount of flexibility in their application and guess what, a nation can put any further restrictions or exemptions in place that it feels are necessary. These deviations are on the air services website. The loose wording of the standards, I would say, purposefully allows a large amount of latitude for medical issues. Further, for this case, ICAO is silent on these clinical particulars.

I don't agree with your goading tirade or the position that some enormous harm is being manifested. Your absolute position- that it's all f#%$ed, no planes are crashing and there's river of cash and jobs we're missing out on sounds like a politician's fever dream. Unfortunately there is a culture of grievance and refusal to accept a situation when it doesn't match an entitled opinion. If there is such a swathe of systemic issues then stand up a (new) senate committee or write to your MP and put them to light. Blowing hard on the internet's not likely to do much.

I agree the system has (not insurmountable) issues and in the medical space it can be extremely difficult to run a situation down to a statistical value. As I've repeatedly said, you're never going to have a regulatory organisation accept a critical/catastrophic risk scenario in the absence of quality data without a period of non-event to support it. End of.

Last edited by Nowluke; 19th Dec 2018 at 04:50. Reason: Spelling