PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Cessna 172 Checklist
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2001, 14:25
HugMonster

Centaurus, you are arguing against the use of checklists based on an illustration of a student pilot who didn't know his checks.

Sorry, but this is total nonsense.

Sure, that student was not ready for solo.

As I've said above, they should know their checks. Well thought-out scans are also a very useful tool.

But to go from there to "Don't use a checklist" is a completely idiotic conclusion, and more than this, is dangerous.

In my advice to eject - anyone else care to comment on it? - I state that it is important for him to know the checks, particularly the airborne ones. He should also know ALL the procedures. To be unable to do the simplest things without a checklist is simply crazy. Having done everything, he should then get out the checklist and make sure that nothing has been missed.

Your Air Ambulance illustration is not an argument against the use of a checklist. It is about sensible use of a checklist. Likewise, descent and approach checks should be complete well before joining the circuit.

Show all the bad misuse of a checklist all you want. It does not make TOTAL ABSENCE of a checklist any safer.

Please stop advising people to adopt dangerous practice.

Use a checklist - every time. As a checklist, not a do list.