PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR pilot making an ILS
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2003, 19:08
BEagle

Received 339 Likes on 119 Posts
Thanks, Tony et al.

Experience might help in making suggestions, but it does not confer infallibility! As I said to a young co-pilot I was debriefing only a year or so ago "Don't forget that even the oldest and most experienced gits in the other seat can kill you if you let them screw up unchallenged!"

Personally I feel that FJJP's post: "A lot of people here are missing the essential point. The ILS is an instrument procedure. That means you should be 'heads down' for the whole procedure right down to decision height. The instrument scan is an important part of the process - a filthy night is not the time to find out that you have a lousy scan technique." sums up the situation admirably.

But to fly the instrument procedure you need to have been properly trained and to hold the appropriate qualification.

Incidentally, there is a project afoot to introduce a 'Basic IR' proposal which we would hope to be a procedural endorsement to an IMC Rating, recognised internationally, allowing access to lower levels of Class A airspace without the need for a full IR. But it's going to take time - and at this stage it's only a proposal.