PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-52 Pilots Do It With Real Class!
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2018, 01:16
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
B-52 Pilots Do It With Real Class!

There is an Annual Christmas Event called the "Snowball Express" that has grown over the years that renews your faith in Mankind.

American Airlines and many other groups, individuals, and corporations including Gary Sinese (Lt. Dan of Forrest Gump fame) and his
Foundation put on events for the Children of American Military Personnel killed in the line of duty.

This year they flew 1750 Kids and a family member to Disney World for four days as part of those events.

This account that follows happened four years ago.

JAX Center: Snowball 3 you have B-52 traffic at your ten o'clock passing overhead one thousand feet above...

FO Yeager: Roger we got'em ...hey any chance you can let those guys know we have some of their precious cargo on board?

JAX Center: Yeah my boss is already on the UHF with them as we speak advising the crew the nature of your mission.

FO Yeager: Please let the Commander know we have over 60 smiling little faces pressed on all the windows.

JAX Center: Snowball 3, they are well aware Sir.

And at that very moment the BUFF Drivers yank and bank giving us the biggest wing rocking salute I've ever seen. Had to be 60 degrees of bank. In a B-52! (In pilot speak that means sh** hot) They passed overhead and did what looked like a fighter break. Stunning visual and it happened so quick. Our Maintenance Technician was in the back and was able to take a couple of photos as they were getting level again.

Edit: I should add... With every center handoff each controller spoke on behalf of that particular ARTCC's division and thanked us for what American Airlines did for these families and kids. Some of the controllers would get choked up. It's understandable and very emotional. Especially when they could hear the kids cheering in the background as I would transmit (we had the cabin PA selected on the cockpit speakers too just for that very reason cause we are smart like that &#128526. They yelled and cheered and had a great time with things like the B-52 salute and all the fun things our amazing Flight Attendants had planned for these kids...

Before we could switch frequencies my colleagues at other carriers would chime in with a "Awesome job guys SWA****, Well done gentlemen Delta*****, Good job fellas United***, Very cool guys JetBlue****, etc....

Every. Single. Time.

Very proud moment to be a pilot for American.

​​​​​​​

While you enjoy your Christmas.....think about those who have lost family serving in the Military.