PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North West - Gaining Experience
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2018, 08:15
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JOMQ,

Just to cover a few points. Sadly there are only a handful of aviation sales companies in the UK and none in the North West. If they did want a ferry pilot they would not use a new PPL due to insurance costs. The less hours you have the more it would cost them to put you in the aircraft. That said, my aircraft was delivered by a ferry pilot who was a local PPL (to the sales company) but had several hundred hours on my type. It's not impossible to pick up free flying but it's very dependant on luck and location. If you happen to be on an airfield and drop on someone who is looking to be picked up from maintenance at another field you might find they are willing to pay your fuel to go and fetch them back. That's the sort of thing you might find but the opportunities are sporadic to say the least. Your best start is to advertise on your local flying club notice board that you are willing to help in any way but don't expect to be knocked over in the rush.

As for groups then again, your local club notice board is the best starting place along with the many ads placed in flying mags and online. Again, I'm afraid with low experience you may find some syndicates unavailable until at least 100hrs PIC but that's your best bet for cost effective flying over renting at schools.

After that your looking at towing gliders (not usually available without considerable gliding experience yourself) or body dropping. There are a couple of parachute clubs in the North West that might be worth a visit, but like all aspects of free flying you might need to get in the queue.

Good Luck.