PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noticing a changing climate
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2018, 19:45
GWYN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan, I have admired your posts on other threads but I think this one is probably the best. That is not to diminish some of the later posts which are almost equally prescient.

It has been a puzzle for me for most of my life (and I am now getting on!) why noone (except as mentioned, for a number of years, the Chinese), is prepared to grasp the nettle and comment about population growth and possibly do something about limiting it - with the possible exception of the DofE and apparently Attenborough. As you say, concentration simply on CO2 is not an answer. We have a continually increasing population and increasing standards of living worldwide, all adding up to an almost exponentially increasing demand on resources of all types. It has to stop somewhere and as others have suggested, that is unlikely to happen 'voluntarily.' The 'current economic model' demands ever increasing growth, and politicians are unlikely to try and stop it. That leaves the 'involuntary' solution to over-population - disease, catastrophe, war, etc.

In the meantime, let's blame it all on the cows emitting methane! How can anyone seriously say one of the causes of climate change is the methane emitted by cows, when there are 7.7 billion people on this planet, all respiring and emitting CO2 all day every day. Noone ever questions the Carbon Dioxide added to the atmosphere by them.