PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-precision approach from a higher-than-published platform altitude
Old 15th Dec 2018, 13:33
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimtx
If you are established on a segment: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...r-the-approach

Maybe the examiner left him at MVA and wanted to see if he would descend before established on a segment. BTW, back when that accident happened my military training was that "cleared for the approach" was clearance to initial approach altitude. That got changed.
I was flying the 727 at TWA when TWA 514 occurred. I was an ALPA investigator assigned to the NTSB investigation. In that era TWA taught when vectored to the final approach course you could descend to the highest altitude shown in the profile view, which is normally the intermediate segment altitude. The procedure in use was new (some 5 months old at the time) and it was defectively designed by the FAA. Round Hlll intersection was the intermediate fix and should have been in the profile view. The three initial segments shown should have all been 3,700 to provide a uniform altitude at Round Hill. Had Round Hill been in the profile view, the accident would not have happened.