PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying as Pu/t with instructor who's never flown that model.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 07:49
pilotmike

Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
I’ve flown solo in 22 types and I hold three licences, so I’ve done quite a few checkouts. My pre-takeoff checks always include me saying to the instructor “In the event of an emergency, I shall say ‘You have control.’ “
How very odd. I'm not aware of many students (or those being checked out) feeling it appropriate to be giving instructions to the instructor (or check pilot) on what the instructor is to do.

Rather, as the instructor, I would always brief the student (pilot being checked) that they should fly the aircraft and assume full responsibility for handling any emergency, and to continue to do so until I gave a clear instruction that I, as captain, was taking over from them.

It is exactly this confusion of authority, caused by you instructing the instructor what their role will be, that seriously undermines the defined authority, and is highly likely to cause problems.

You, or any student giving me instruction on what they will be doing and what they expect me to do would immediately be stopped, politely but firmly, to re-establish absolute clarity on who is ultimately the commander of the aircraft. We would not take off if the student continued to cast doubt on their understanding and acceptance of this most fundamental issue.