PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logbookwiz
Thread: Logbookwiz
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2018, 03:30
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the middle of converting my logbooks to an electronic format. I have 35 years & nearly 9000hrs of them - with many. many sub-1hr flights during my flying instructor days. I'm doing it myself though. I've thought about those services but I don't trust sending my logbooks away, and I would still have to closely examine the results for accuracy once returned. It also doesn't help that electronic logs typically don't use the exact layout/records split as a paper log so there's some converting & interpretation needed.

I'm using 'myflightbook.com' for the logbook. It's free (but accepts donations), has lots of options for different region's logbook requirements + Android & Apple apps, and, most importantly, allow you to download your record as a simple .csv file. That .csv format avoids future incompatibilities should the service go tits up or if I ever want to import it into something. They even have a spreadsheet template you can download to add your individual flights to, and then upload. Or you can start with a certain number of hours. I decided I'd rather have a complete record of each flight so I started from my first flight.

So far I've done 14 years and a couple of thousand hours. All done in the last week or two, one spreadsheet per year at a time, and then uploaded. Using a spreadsheet enables lots of copying to multiple cells and the use of cell formula to semi-automate cross-filling. Doing it myself also means I have the original spreadsheets for future use (Although I plan to combine them to make a single spreadsheet when I finish). Myflightbook support has been outstandingly responsive to my questions & issues eg aircraft rego's that are now assigned to another type (they use a common aircraft pool with account specific variations).

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 16th Dec 2018 at 09:11.