PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental Triple computer failure
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 08:43
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fergineer,

It seems that few are taking this seriously but, if you're that worried, why don't you file a mandatory occurence report with the FAA? If it was me that heard the transmissions, I would...

As to fly by wire, any pilot who thinks that big jet control columns are in any way directly connected to the surfaces had better get down the hangar for a visit one day. A quick look under the skin might give you a few surprises. Not all computers are electronic you know. The DC10 would be a really good starting place if you can find one.

B707 servo tabs did indeed provide power assist, but were not immune to cross connection. I recall doing autopilot checks in Big Airline's east wing one night when we "fairies" found the ailerons cross connected. That's at the end of a major check and after duplicate inspections had been done! A colleague found the same on a Viscount (which, for the benefit of 411, predates the 707 by a few years! Boeing invention indeed! ) in exactly the same circumstances. In both these cases, had avionics people not found the fault the first the crews would have known about it was when they made their first turn after take-off.

Through difficulties to the cinema