PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No-frills kangaroo ready to hop
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2003, 11:57
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake,

you raise an interesting point.

If new joiners are to be QF S/O's does this mean that they will be taking a pay drop to be F/O's in Skimpy? Given the Australian experience, how many will jump at this 'opportunity'?

Or, are you saying that new joiners will be S/O intake pilots off the street selected to join the LCC. If so, presumably they will be selected for the LCC based on experience i.e. an ex Ansett 737 driver would be a logical choice. However, if in the LCC they are to be paid lower wages than mainline, then these new LCC F/O's will be paid substantially less than their less experienced comrades sitting in the back seat.

Or perhaps, the experienced new hires will be sent to the -400 while the inexperienced new hire s/o's go to the LCC. How then does this enhance safety?

I do not see this purest form you are proposing as a solution (except for those seeking early promotion).

A more cost conscious and logical solution needs to be employed. I agree that using a structure of mainline crews provides the ability to grow and cover shortages ala Australian Cairns basings, however, I think AIPA and the company will need to look outside the square in order to create a long term solutionto the crewing of this airline.

IMHO whilst using QF crews as a basis, the LCC will need to look to its own direct recruitment. Even if these pilots are coralled within the LCC unless and until they are selected into mainline sic.