PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA 737 overrun at BUR - Dec 6 2018
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2018, 18:26
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alf5071h
MAS, whilst public forums enable open opinion, these opinions are of little value without substanciating information or reasoned argument.

One aspect we have yet to discover is the standard of the landing performance charts the accident crew might have used; similarly for your views, especially over the years where there could have been different data source and understandings.

Then there is the question of safety margin; stopping within the published distance does not provide an equivalent level of safety to that expected by regulation, or the passengers.

The real world is uncertain, where ill-judged, false beliefs, and the variability of one’s ‘infallible’ actions, will sooner or later result in a surprise.
The skills in flying are required to manage thoughts and actions so there are no big surprises.
Are my arguments unreasonable? I am landing on a runway where my data says I can land, and I add additional margins with my technique.
As for data sources, I have done paper tables through various other sources up to todays very easy to use computer calculations. From the outside I have been through various vehicles using various speeds to measure BA, up to todays way of inserting conditions into a computer that spit out a BA. That includes the FAA and UK method of saying nothing.
Experience is everything. That is why I do what I do, and I have never been close to running off the end.