PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander down at Melaleuca?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 20:58
desert goat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not know what caused this accident, and I think it is fair to say that nobody else on this electronic peanut gallery does either. Even if they did once have a scary training flight in a tonka toy twin over relatively benign terrain with an experienced pilot there to hold their hand.

I can say three things with a fair degree of confidence though;

1) The terrain and weather conditions in the south west of Tasmania demand respect, regardless of whether the pilot has 300 hours, or 30,000.

2) Unless things have changed dramatically since I was there last, I highly doubt that this particular company would let a CPL candidate through, or put a new pilot on the line, without making damn sure they had a decent amount of exposure to the terrain and weather conditions that are an everyday fact of life down there.

3) The pilot's gender had stuff all to do with it.

Those who knew or worked with the pilot concerned, or who were working or flying down there at the time, may know a bit more. But as far as I can see, pretty much everything else offered in this thread is just another load of verbal diarrhea.

As for the previous poster who asked if the pilot involved in the previous crash (PFT) had the correct low-level training- According to the ATSB report, yes he did. But based on my own experience-if you decide to screw around while in the low-level environment, then all the training in the world will not save you.