PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Mount Gambier
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 07:10
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a long time ago, and I am not sure of the story in any detail . .. . but Keith Virtue was an ANA senior pilot who allegedly allowed a DC4 at EagleFarm/Brisbane to land wheels up, in the full knowledge, as it later transpired, of what was about to happen. The rumour mill said that Keith was so pissed off with various slacknesses with SOPs and checklists he just shut his trap and let it happen.

This how the press reported ti -
K. VIRTUE RELIEVED OF FLYING DUTIES

MELBOURNE, December I.1954— Captain Keith Virtue, Australian air-mileage 'millionaire,' has been grounded by Australian National Airway*.

The company has relieved him of flying duties, and isholding a ground post open
for him at Brisbane. Meanwhile, Captain Virtue, whohas been flying for 28 years,
s on holidays. van
ANA.'s managing director,Captain I. Holyman, said today he did not know what
Virtue Intended to do.
Captain Virtue was incharge of an ANA plane,which belly-landed without itswheels down, at EagleFarm airport, Brisbane, onNovember INo one washurt.Captain Virtue's flying banapplies only to ANA. planes.

The Civil Aviation Department has not taken any action on his licence.
Captain Virtue has flownnearly 4,000,000 miles withouta crash, and is reckoned one
of the most seasoned pilotsIn the world. In 38 years ofcommercial and private flying,i
he has logged about 23,000hours — just on three years —n the air.

At 45, he has spent at least2000 more hours in the air
man any other Australian,and three or (our years agohe said he looked forward to
another 10 years' flying.He Is at home in Blmostany type of aircraft, having flown 25 different kinds ofplanes on regular commercial
Virtue admitted Inff
Brisbane to-night he hadmade a mistake. He was reerring to the belly-landing at
Eagle Farm.
'I forgot to put the undercarriage down,' Captain Virue said. 'With First Officer
R. Hughes at the controls. crew was trying a newprocedure in circuits andlanding.'
He said on Monday A.N.A.managing director (CaptainI. Holyman) grounded him.

Captain Holyman told me Imight make the same mistakeagain,' Captain Virtue said.
'But this could not happen In a thousand years.'Captain Holyman had told
him he would not be allowedagain to fly ANA, aircraft.

Last edited by Fantome; 13th Dec 2018 at 07:31.