PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander down at Melaleuca?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 07:09
Seagull201

Originally Posted by Clare Prop
Yes I am quite aware thank you, please don't try to patronise me.
I have read, most of your posts Clare, when ever you have responded, to various topics, you are always level headed and people take notice, of your comments.

I knew quite well, someone, will pull me up, sooner or later, because, I have left my comments open for interpretation.

To be honest with everyone, i was so upset to hear and read, about the accident, that i really, had to ask the question, what happened?

I have seen the photos of the young lady, and i'm deeply saddened, to hear that the accident happened.
I remember the 2004 accident also, i was also very saddened to hear that situation.
I really hope, that, these type of accidents, never happen, to any pilot again.

The only reason, i drew parellel's, with both accidents, because, I wanted to know, what happened, and why these accidents are happening, in that part of Australia?

I can see for myself on the internet, the terrain is millions of years old, the weather closes in quickly.

In relation to the first accident, i have my own experiences, over a decade and a half ago, i was doing my Instrument Rating training run, on a cloudy and rainy day, the weather extending from Sydney to well past Dubbo.

I volunteered to fly with the instructor on a rainy and cloudy day, during the training run, we (myself and the instructor), were caught in a CELL, the cell, ROCKED, our aircraft, a DUCHESS, it was so bad, i really thought, it was over for me!

My instructor (gde 1 and charter pilot), KEPT up the normal CRUISE power setting, of, 23 inches MAP/2300 RPM, during the next 5 minutes, AND, we RELIGIOUSLY,
kept the ATTITUDE indicator level, i was ABOUT to reduce the POWER, in the CELL, the instructor said, NO!
YOU WILL STALL IT!
WE survived that encounter!
ON the ground, my instructor mentioned, if we crashed, the CORONER, would have concluded, THE WINGS HAD BROKEN OFF, DURING FLIGHT.
HE also mentioned, WE, were the only people OUT there, during the day.

What i'm saying, is, that single pilot IFR, CAN quickly, get, OUT OF CONTROL, in these light twin engine aircraft.

Airlines and Regional's, have 2 pilots and operate heavier aircraft, and fly well above the weather affected areas, to a certain degree.
Their operation is much safer, than single pilot IFR.