PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander down at Melaleuca?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 02:09
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seagull201
When I read all details, of the news article, i immediately thought of another accident, in 2004, an aero commander accident, from Hobart to Devonport( details are on internet),which was also flown by a female during an IFR flight in Tasmania (also only occupant on board).
It's very sad to hear the accident resulted in a loss of life.
Reading the details of the 2004 accident, the pilot had 40 hours on type and 371 total time.
Folks,
I would be very wary of equating the two accidents, and there is considerable doubt as to the veracity of the "official" accident report on the Aero Commander.
The Aero Commander was a structural failure, both wings failed in symmetrical DOWNWARD bending just outboard of the engine nacelles. Those of you who know anything about the aerodynamic and structural design and the record of the type will understand the significance.
Without going into detail, there is a very strong presumption, from independent review of the accident, that the outcome was beyond the control of the pilot, and not as per the ATSB report.
Put another way, the experience and competence of the Aero Commander pilot was not a contributory factor to the accident.
Unless you have "been there, done that", you are unlikely to appreciate how fast the Wx changes in that part of the world, and how bad the turbulence can be, even in VMC, despite only moderate winds being forecast.
Tootle pip!!