PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHAIRMAN CUTTING A DEAL
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 13:10
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting messages mid conversation can be dangerously misleading as it gets taken out of context. This screenshot is in the middle of a conversation. At 938 the question was asked "no floor?". And the response was "no floor best effort". This was clarified in the following messages. At 1002 DSS even says "The box hasn't changed....." So it was clear within 24minutes that nothing had changed. The following messages discuss how to proceed - ie given that HKPA didn't meet the floor, as the rest of the offers would go to a vote the aim was to get the best HKPA offer possible -hence the "No Floor - Best effort" comment. This needed to be clarified due to contradictions between the GFBFA and 20.4. But I will leave that conversation for AOA forums - we really do need to sort them out IMHO.

So I can assure you the 'floor' (ie the minimum acceptable position to even consider taking the offer to the membership for a vote) was in place at all times during negotiations this year. The floor is an absolute minimum - it was reached in three categories but not in one. And in that one that failed to reach the floor - we got our "best effort" offer.

Rule 20.4 was introduced before the GFBFA - they don't work well together which is why the GC tried to get rid of it in 2017. But there was insufficient interest in voting it out - so it remains. And as such the current HKAOA GC is bound to abide by it.

Just so we are 100% clear - the offer on the table reaches the minimum set by the original floor for three out of the four items. And yes I mean "floor" - the minimum. That was all that was achievable given the industrial pressure placed thus far.

As to whether it is a good offer or not - well I will be surprised if anyone gets excited by it. Pretty much like setting a low reserve when selling your house and having the highest bid at your floor. You have a deal - but you are none too excited about it.

Like it or not - 20.4 constrains the GC in its' actions(see below). Then democracy kicks in - is that such a bad thing?

20.4 excerpt.
When, in the opinion of the Association’s negotiators, a conclusion has been reached, whether successful or not, then the results of the negotiation will be referred to the General Committee. The General Committee will, in turn, refer the results to the Membership with a recommendation.