PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Islander down at Melaleuca?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 10:26
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Ducky, yes mountain flying training would be a useful addition to training, though I don't believe it needs to be within the basic CPL syllabus. Gaining a CPL is already costly enough.
Instead, require it to be part of induction and recurrent training when employed with a charter or air transport AOC. As the operator would be the main beneficiary, this would be the more fair approach. Charter company websites often lay claim that they can fly anywhere, any time, so that would include Tassie and PNG and other mountainous areas.
For those who do not wish to be burdened with this, CASA could endorse the AOC with ‘valid for flat earth operations only’ (children, I am kidding, but many claims to expertise and high standards on certain websites are misleading).
I can already hear the squeals of ‘over regulation’
For the record, I don’t want to see more regulations; fewer but pertinent regulations is the way to go.

Seagull, two pilots who happened to be female and flying alone is irrelevant. The only relevant factors in common with these two accidents appear to be a lack of experience and training combined with flying geriatric low performance aircraft over rugged terrain.
It has nothing to do with gender. Don’t go there!

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 12th Dec 2018 at 22:46.