PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I finish year 12?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 06:24
Seagull201

Originally Posted by Persona
Hi,
I am a Year 12 student.I passed the Class 1 medical.I'm dreaming of becoming a Boeing pilot
In school, I am doing following subjects: Mathematics Standard, Community and Family Studies, EAL/D (English as an additional language or dialect), Modern History, Russian Continuers.

So,

1.Is there a point in finishing Year 12 with my current subjects, if I want to become a pilot? I've read that some airline companies require pilots to finish Year 12 with English and Physics.I do EAL/D and I don't do physics.
2.If I don't finish Year 12 and finish the flight school, how likely are airline companies to hire me?How much would my lack of Year 12 prevent airline companies from hiring me?
3.If one day, I would want to become a high-tier pilot,like an airplane captain, would lack of Year 12 stop me from becoming one?Is there anything I can do about it?

Why I want to quit Year 12 - Instead of spending time in school, I would get PPL(my family will pay for that), and start working at the construction(my father works at construction, so he can find me a job easily), to save up money for CPL.I can't just take a student loan, because I am not an Australian citizen.I will become one in about a year, but it might take more time or I might not get citizenship at all(extremely unlikely, but still).As soon as I become an Australian citizen, or save up enough money, I will enroll in the CPL course.
You should finish year 12 and the subjects you're doing, i noticed you're studying the lower level Maths course, i can understand that!
Many students don't study advanced Maths (2 unit) or physics, because it's a difficult course.

If you want to apply for QF/Virgin/Cathay/Singapore Air, in the future, they all want to see that you passed a higher level of Maths (2 or 3 unit) and Physics.
You have more chances of passing the airline psychometric tests, if you got a Maths and Physics background.
There's no point in re-doing years 11 and 12 again, I can tell you that 2 unit Maths and Physics is NOT an easy course, extra tuition is needed, to understand the topics.
You cannot be an expert in Maths overnight, it takes time.

If you ask me, you're better off finding a job and working, after your HSC year, and study 2 unit Maths at TAFE, online, over 2 years, then do Physics, when you can.
I'm saying, to fix up your education, before you start flying and save enough money, instead of getting a $100K HECS debt.

If you want to fly in America in the future, you also need a University degree, you can do it online.

QF are opening up their own flying school soon, it appears, they want students with HIGH HSC marks, OR students, that have good HSC marks, that will allow them,
to enter a University course, before applying for their flying course.

You say, you study Russian (I presume you have a Russian family background), I can tell you, that, virtually ALL Russian airline pilots, have a high education standard,
and can do, Maths and Physics, quite well!
Russians are very good pilots!

You're young, you have TIME on your side.
Even if you get your first aviation job in 10 years time, you will be flying bigger and better things!

Don't ignore the Education standards, the airlines want to see your advanced Maths and Physics scores!